Obatzda, a flavorful German Beer Cheese Dip, is a beer garden classic made with camembert cheese, butter, and beer!
- 250g Camembert or Brie
- 250g Cream Cheese
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp ground caraway seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Dunkel lager, Weissbier or Schwarzbier
- 1/3 cup sweet onion (diced)
- 1 small bunch chives, (finely chopped, 2 tbsp for dip and the rest for garnish)
- At room temperature cut the Cambert, cream cheese and butter into small pieces.
- In a mixing bowl add the Camembert, cream cheese, butter, paprika, caraway seeds, salt and pepper. Using a fork, press until well mixed together.
- Add the beer, start by only adding 2 tbsp and keep adding until you reach the desired consistency (should be spread like but not runny).
- Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours to firm up.
- Before serving, finely dice the onion and finely chop the chives.
- Add the diced onion and chopped chives to the dip and fold until they are well incorporated.
- Garnish with chives and serve with pretzels.