Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Balls
- 3 links uncooked bratwurst (remove casings)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 1/2 cup sauerkraut (drained)
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp parsley (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup beer (sub with water or milk)
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- cooking oil as needed for deep frying
- In a Chef skillet over medium heat, brown the bratwurst while breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add the diced onion, mix it in and let soften. Once the bratwurst is fully cooked let the mixture cool down.
- In a mixing bowl add the drained sauerkraut, breadcrumbs, parsley, cream cheese, salt and pepper, garlic powder and cooled off bratwurst and onion mixture.
- Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated and form into golf-sized balls. Arrange them on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 min to let them firm up.
- Prepare a breading set up – one bowl with flour, one bowl with the beaten eggs & beer, one bowl with breadcrumbs.
- In a Chef Round Casserole Dish heat enough cooking oil to fully submerge the balls.
- Bread the chilled sauerkraut balls (coat with flour, then egg wash, then roll in bread crumbs).
- Fry a few at a time until golden brown and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.