Classic Beef Lasagna
1 hour 30 Minutes
- 1 cup good quality beef stock
- 2 medium onions
- 1 large carrots, washed and grated
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, to drizzle
- 700 g beef mince
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 x 400g tin Italian chopped tomatoes
- 50 ml tomato paste
- 10 lasagne sheets
- 100 g Parmesan cheese
- paprika, to sprinkle
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 75g Butter
- 75g flour
- 100 ml milk
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Finely chop the onions, carrots and garlic in a food processor.
- Take chopped ingredients and soften in the olive oil over a low heat for 5 minutes without allowing them to change colour.
- Increase the heat to medium and add all of the beef mince.
- Brown the mince, then add the thyme and red wine and cook for 1–2 minutes.
- Stir through the tomato purée, canned tomatoes, beef stock, tomato paste and season to taste. Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- To make the white sauce, melt the butter in a pan over a low heat, then whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the milk, a little at a time, and whisk into the flour mixture until smooth.
- Simmer for another minute, stirring continually, and season to taste.
- Place a layer of mince in the bottom of the Chef Rectangular Dish, then top with a layer of pasta and white sauce.
- Repeat until the dish is full, finishing with a layer of white sauce.
- Sprinkle over the parmesan cheese, paprika and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until golden.