Kartoffelpuffer – German Potato Pancakes
- 900g potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (use if you do not intend to use the starch from the potatoes)
- cooking oil, as needed for pan frying
- Peel and coarsely grate the potatoes. Place in colander to drain for 10-15 minutes.
- Once most of the liquid from the potatoes has collected at the bottom of the bowl, move the drained potatoes to the side and discard the liquid and starch.
- Transfer the potatoes from the colander to the bowl. Beat the eggs with the salt, pepper, nutmeg and cornstarch, then add to the potatoes.
- Heat 1/4 cup of cooking oil in a frying pan over medium to medium-high heat. When hot, add a large spoonful of potato egg mixture to the oil and flatten it out using the back of the spoon.
- Fry until each side is golden and crispy.
- Drain cooked potato pancakes over paper towels before serving. Serve while still hot with applesauce or sour cream as a dip.