Half Roasted Chicken
For the Brine:
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup salt (coarse)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp each of paprika, oregano, garlic powder, salt (coarse)
To stuff the Chicken:
To brush the Chicken:
First brine the whole chicken
- Heat the water with the salt and sugar until they dissolve. Add ice to cool the solution down.
In a cheese cloth tie the bay leaves, cloves, mustard seeds and peppercorns. Submerge in the brine liquid and add the chicken. Cover with plastic and brine refrigerated for 12-24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Remove the chicken from the brine. Rinse and pat dry. Stuff the cavity with the thyme, parsley, garlic and lemons.
- Melt the butter, mix in the olive oil and the spices. Place the chicken breast side up onto the Chef Grill Plate. Brush it with the spiced butter/olive oil.
- Place in the oven and brush with spiced butter/olive oil again in about 20 minutes
- In 40 minutes check the temperature with a meat thermometer. Brush with more spiced butter/olive oil.
- Continue cooking until the chicken is brown and crispy.
- Place the cooked chicken onto a cutting board. Cut across lengthwise with a heavy knife, pressing down firmly.
- Remove the herbs and lemon and serve.