Schweinshaxe German Pork Knuckles
- 2 pork knuckles (skin-on, uncured/unsmoked)
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 onion
- 12 oz dark German lager
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Slice the onion into rings and place on the bottom of a Chef Oval Casserole. Grind 1 tbsp caraway seeds and mix with ground pepper and salt.
- Score the skin (rind) of each pork knuckle and rub with the spice mix from the previous step. Place pork on top of onions, with the tapered end facing up.
- Slow roast for about 90 -120 minutes. Add the beer and a little bit of water to the Chef Oval Casserole and continue slow roasting for another 60 minutes. If the skin is browning too fast consider tenting it with foil.
- Transfer the pork to a Chef Rectangular Dish and keep the Chef Oval Casserole with the drippings and onions to use for gravy. Place the pork back in the oven and roast at 200°C, until the skin gets crispy and puffy. Watch closely during this step to avoid burning.
- Add 1 cup of hot water to the Chef Oval Casserole and scrape the brown bits from the bottom. Transfer to a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Pour into a Chef Sauce Pan and bring to simmer. (If the consistency is too thin, add 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed into 1 tbsp cold water and whisk it in to thicken.)