- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion yellow or white
- 1/3 cup grated carrot
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- salt & freshly cracked pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 500 g ground beef best quality
- 500 g mild Italian pork sausage
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried mint
- 2 cups of your favourite marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half and half / or cream*
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Reggiano divided
- 8 ounces dried pasta noodles bucatini or pappardelle recommended
- Heat olive oil in a Saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, and a pinch of salt. Cook until softened for about 10 minutes.
- Then add minced garlic, stir, and cook one minute.
- Pour in red wine, and cook until absorbed, about two minutes.
- Add ground beef and Italian sausage, and sprinkle a healthy pinch of salt and pepper onto the meats. Cook until browned, breaking into very small pieces as they cook.
- Pour in milk and simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in dried oregano, dried basil, crushed red pepper, dried mint, and marinara sauce.
- Taste the sauce, and season with salt and pepper if desired. Simmer the sauce, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes. Stir occasionally and taste again to season if necessary.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, minus one minute.
- Transfer strained, cooked pasta noodles directly into the sauce. Stir in freshly chopped basil and half of the parmesan.
- Serve hot with remaining parmesan sprinkled on top!