For the Leg of Lamb:
- 2.25 kg Leg of lamb, bone in (or shoulder)
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1.5 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Whole garlic head, unpeeled and sliced in half horizontally
- 1 Onion, quartered
- 2 Rosemary sprigs
- 3 cups Beef stock/broth
- 2 cups Water
For the Gravy:
- 4 tbsp. Flour
- 1 cup Water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Tbsp = TablespoonDownload Recipe PDF
For the Leg of Lamb:
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In your Chef Rectangular Dish, add in garlic, onion and rosemary.
- Season lamb: Place the lamb leg right side up in the pan. Lightly season with salt and pepper and rub it in with your hands.
- Gently turn the lamb over and place it so it mostly sits on the garlic and onion. Sprinkle again with salt and pepper and rub it in.
- Add liquids and cover: Lightly drizzle the lamb with olive oil, pour broth and water around the lamb and cover with foil.
- Slow roast: Place the casserole in the oven and roast for 4 hours.
- Check meat: Carefully remove the casserole from the oven using an oven mitt and remove the foil. Turn lamb over and check it to ensure the meat is tender enough to pry a bit off easily with a fork. If not, return, covered, to oven.
- Brown lamb: Return the uncovered lamb to oven and leave to roast for a further 45 minutes or until well browned.
- Rest: Remove the casserole and spoon over pan juices generously.
- Plate: Transfer the roasted Leg of Lamb to a serving platter and cover loosely with foil while you make the gravy. It should stay warm for 1 – 1.5 hours.
Note: The broth won’t cover the lamb, but as it cooks, the lamb will sink into it.
Tip:Don’t use a lid to cover the casserole, as you want a bit of liquid to steam out.
For the Leg of Gravy:
- Skim fat: Discard some of the fat from the surface of the liquid by using a large spoon.
- Add flour: Place a Chef Skillet on the stove on medium high heat and add the liquid. Once the liquid bubbles, add flour. Use a whisk to mix it in. This may take a few minutes as the liquid reduces.
- Add water: Whisk in ½ – 1 cup of water until it becomes a gravy consistency to your taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour gravy into a bowl.
- Serve: The meat is tender so you will only need Chef Tongs to tear the meat off.
- Serve with gravy and enjoy!